Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Trust Me"

Trust Me. I hear that phrase so often in todays culture.  In a world that is so uncertain and volatile, those simple words can be all we need to make it through the day.  Whether they be from our parents, our bosses, or even our best friends, these words lay the basis for much of what we do in life. 

I was watching the inauguration the other day and I began to get chills up my spine.  Now, I did not get the kind of chills you may have been expecting. While I acknowledge it, the historic value of the moment was not what caused these chills. I am a conservative, but that also had nothing to do with how I felt.  

As I watched the president become the most powerful man in the world, I came to a frightening realization:  The inauguration of a president is also a declaration of the most trusted man in the world.

This is true of all elections, but never before has the culture put more trust or confidence in one man in such a way as they have Barrack Obama.  While I am a conservative, I do want to make clear that this has nothing to do with politics.  This has to do with human nature.

Many would say that Obama is the fittest man for the job.  I am not commenting on his ability to lead this country.  I am commenting on our blindness in trusting in one man for the salvation of our society.

I will now make my point.  We as human beings need to trust someone or something.  The question has always been and will always be, who and what?    Now I would love to trust in a man like Barrack Obama or even John McCain, but I know that they will fail.  I would love to be able to trust my doctor or my lawyer, or even my best friend, but they are not perfect.  I know that they are simply men and they cannot do what they promise anymore than I can.

I would love to accept the phrase "trust me" and call it good, but in reality I can not.  At least not from humanity.  Humanity is too prone to failure to give them my undivided confidence.

I need something more. We all need something more to trust in.  

There has only ever been one man who kept all of his promises.  There has only ever been one man who told nothing but the truth, and they killed him before he reached his thirty third birthday.  There has only ever been one man who was able to persevere through adversity and temptation and trial, and never fall.

There have been many men who have set out to save the world.  But only one could. Only he did.  Only one man has come, seen, and conquered.  

Humans need to hear those words, "Trust Me", and only one man has come with the true credentials.  

So I do what I do best, I take Him at his Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment