Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Verses

If there is one thing that is gross about being in public its the public restrooms.  Even my favorite stores tend to do a bad job at keeping them clean enough for the sanitary few who are forced to use them.  As unpleasant as a trip to the public restroom can be, I often look forward to the short experience.  This may seem strange, but I love finding surprises in the stalls.   Quickly, before your mind travels to disgusting images of what I might mean here, let me say that I do not mean gross surprises.  

What I look forward to is the ever increasing collection of phrases and advice that is scratched into or drawn on the walls of the stalls.  Recently, I was in a stall at my favorite bookstore when I read "grab life by the balls". I didn't totally get it,  in fact it sounded painful, but I had a feeling that whoever wrote it wasn't one for caution anyway.  Other bits of info on the walls included phone numbers for drugs or sex, and even a poem about how life was all about money and the ability to get enough of it.  

Throughout all my time spent in stalls, I have concluded that what is written within them is a fairly accurate representation of what mankind essentially believes to be true.  Whether the authors are calling for African aid or pushing hate and lustful passion, the dirty documents stand as reminders of what mankind has come to.  

Yet sometimes I see writing on the walls that is of an entirely different nature.  The small words and numbers  on the door often stand out to me due to their relatively unassuming size and look. In fact, these little bits of graffiti don't even say anything at first glance, they are merely citations. "psalm 27:14" one might say.  "proverbs 28:26" might be another.  To the average person these citations most likely mean next to nothing.  Yet to me, they are everything.  

Unlike the rest of the writing that people come up with, these citations on the wall are actually references to the Word of God.  The citations are from scripture.  Mankind loves to come up with advice about how to live life.  The evidence is on the walls of the stalls and in the brokenness of the culture.  Just as the verses say "whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered"(Proverbs 28:26.) 

These verses have proven themselves true in my life time and time again.  The world and its foolish thinking strives to produce advice for me to live by, yet the world's  advice is not based upon the truth of the Word of God.  Just as the mind was created by God it was also created for God.  G.K  Chesterton would say that to have an open mind is good, yet the purpose of an open mind is to shut it upon something solid.  The world does not base its thinking upon absolute truth and therefore advises strategies and tactics for living that run opposite the grain of the ultimate reality: God.  A strong understanding of theology is the key to wisdom on earth.  The only way to a strong theology is a strong understanding of the scriptures.

There in lies the great fork in the road.  Men must choose who will win the great battle of their mind: Scripture V.S  Advice.  The difference between the two is eternally significant.  Contrary to worldly understanding, scripture always tells us that we are helpless to fix our own lives! In fact it tells us to do the one thing we do not want to do: "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"(psalm 27:14.)  Yet it is so true! Whenever my life seems to be spiraling out of control or my tactics seem to be failing I am simply left with scripture, and the fact that I have been neglecting it.  

On the other hand, whenever I deliberately follow the truth of scripture the end is always ok! There are many days I wish that it were not so, there are many days that I wish that my plans and desires would simply fall into place.  There are times that I think my advice is just as good or even better than what the Bible may have to say, only to be reminded of proverbs 30:5-6: "Every Word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar." 

As we live our lives by either scripture or advice, we shall soon see the writing on the wall. 




No comments:

Post a Comment